Insecure authentication has been listed as number four in the most exploited mobile application vulnerability list provided by OWASP Mobile’s top 10. So, if you are also curious about the other vulnerabilities, you definitely need to have a good understanding of this list, which has been created by cyber security experts so that organisations can have a good command over the basics of this field. Secure mobile applications launched with the help of experts like Appsealing will definitely be important for modern-day organisations so that they can deal with sensitive data involvement very easily and successfully in the whole process.
What do you mean by insecure authentication?
Insecure authentication will result from the implementation of weak authentication practices in the mobile application development concept. Simply put, this particular step will arise from the organisations’ desire to confirm the identity of the users and provide the attacker with the opportunity to acquire privileges and access sensitive data in the application. Security lapse in this particular case will arise due to the developer taking a few things for granted throughout the application development process.
How do we prevent insecure authentication in mobile applications?
Mobile application vulnerability, especially in the context of insecure authentication, can be easily elaborated and will be further reduced by the straightforward policy of not following poor design patterns. Development and reinforcement of those indication wherever possible have to be understood in this case, and following are some of the basic things to be kept in mind during the designing and development process of the mobile applications:
- It is always advisable for people to work with the essential that all the authentication and authorisation controls can be bypassed, and reinforcement of them on the side of the server whenever possible is also advisable to be considered.
- If, due to the offline user requirements, an application is required to perform local authorisation and authentication checks, developers must always focus on implementing the local integrity checking systems so that coding will be done in such a manner that detection and prevention of the unauthorised coding changes will be very well sorted out without any problem.
- It is important for people to ensure that it will never be allowed the user to enter the four-digit PIN as the password at any point in time
- Any kind of spoofable values will be based on the device identified and will be dealing with the element of authentication of the users. Further, people need to be clear about the storage of the passwords on the local device. It is always important for people to try to implement the authentication request on the side of the server.
- Application data loading should be carried out on the device until the successful client-side authentication takes place, and if the application design will be calling for offline use, it is important for people to be clear about the data security on the devices so that encryption will be very well carried out and further people will be able to deal with the security from the user login credentials.
- If the web application is being put on the mobile platform, the authentication parameter has to be very well sorted out in the whole process, and further, it should be the same as the web application in the whole process.
What is the risk of insecure authentication?
Native, web-based and hybrid mobile applications will be using a number of different authentication methods, and the native applications, in this particular case, will be dependent on security-based features, for example, 4-digit and 6-digit pins along with biometrics. Internet-based hybrid mobile application authentication will be based upon the client-server model, and authentication will be done in real time in this case. Some of the basic examples will be:
Implementation of the weak password policy to access mobile applications
Dealing with also secure biometric features like touch ID and Face ID
Login credentials that have been stored in the unencrypted local device
Security issues if will be allowing the requests to the bank and system so that accessibility token will be understood without any problem
As the mobile development firm, the impact of the poor authentication will be there and further will usually centre around the information that. Analysing accessibility to sensitive data is very important to understand because unwonted excess, in this case, will damage the concerned person’s reputation and further lead to expensive lawsuits for the companies.
How will you understand that you are vulnerable to insecure authentication?
Insecure authentication will affect the mobile application in a significant variety of ways, and some of those are:
- If the mobile application will be using a weak policy of password and only requires a simple four-digit PIN or a short password
- If the application is only dependent on biometric authentication like Touch ID or Face ID
- If the mobile application is storing the passwords locally on the device
- If the application can easily execute the application programming interface service without providing the accessibility token
Hence, at this particular point in time, people definitely need to be very clear about a good number of basics associated with the vulnerabilities that will result from the insecure authentication program along with exploitation into the office of the security of the mobile applications. Hence, to promote application security from insecure authentication, organisations very well need to be clear about the points mentioned above because when developing mobile applications as a developer, people always need to ensure that the authentication mechanism is safe and secured up to the best possible level without any doubt. Storage in this particular case has to be paid attention to, and further, people need to be clear about the storage of this sensitive information technicalities so that things are very well sorted out without any exploitation chances. When the developers will be aware of the basics of the industry, then for sure, they will be able to launch the best-in-class apps in the market.