Does your kitchen sink? Are you experiencing an unpleasant smell that is coming out of your kitchen? Is it due to garbage disposal? Garbage disposals are amazing appliances as they help to clean unwanted food scraps. Although they perform the self-cleaning operation, they need little care and attention from time to time. By doing this, you can keep the sink of your kitchen in a good condition and will prevent odors from forming. You must get garbage disposal repaired from professionals from time to time so that it works properly.
Cleaning Your Garbage Disposal
There are several ways that you can take up to clean the garbage disposal. You can also take the help of professionals who deal with garbage disposal repair at affordable prices. They are as follows:
- Remove Lodged Objects Physically: If you think that some large object has lodged in your garbage disposal trying to remove it before initiating the cleaning process. Turn off the fuse supply that connects the supply power to the disposable unit. You can also make use of pliers and tongs to eliminate the objects trapped in the garbage disposal.
- Try not to put your hands inside the garbage supply. You can make use of the available tools.
- In case you feel that there is a need to put hands in the disposal to ensure that the grinder does not turn on by performing double checks on it.
- Use Ice Cubes and Salt: Placing ice cubes and salt in your garbage disposal is a fantastic way to get rid of tougher sludge that has accumulated in the grind elements. Pour two cups of ice along with a cup of rock salt.
- Turn on the garbage disposal and let the grinders crush the salt and water with the help of blades.
- You can also combine ice and rock salt. Add some vinegar to the combination. Crush this mixture and keep it in the garbage disposal.
- Grinding will be performed on the ice which will not only sharpen the blades but also will eliminate unwanted waste from it.
If an unpleasant smell is coming out of the garbage disposal get rid of it in no time by following these steps:
- Use Citrus Fruit Peels: A fantastic way that you can take up to make your garbage disposal look clean is by adding citrus fruits in it. You can use any citrus fruit such as Lemon, Orange, and grapefruit. Adding citrus fruit such as lemon will clean the blades, and you will get rid of unpleasant smell. You can add spices or rosemary oil so that your pleasant scent comes out of your kitchen. You can take help from experts who take the responsibility of garbage disposal repair near you.
- Use Borax: There is another safe, and natural cleaning product that will clean your disposal and minimize the unpleasant smell coming out of your kitchen is Borax. Add three to four cups of Borax. Let it settle for approximately half an hour. Flush it away with the help of hot or boiling water.
- Clean with Bleach: Bleach helps to kill the germs which are present in the drain and will make it look fresh. It also makes the grease present in the drain hard, so it is difficult to get rid of it. Dilute liquid chlorine bleach by adding water to it. Wait for the bleach to settle for 2 or 3 minutes and run the hot water tap and flush the bleach away.
How to Keep the Garbage Disposal in Proper Working Condition?
Try to keep garbage disposals in proper working condition as it might result in a clogged drain. If the problem worsens, you will end up spending more in the years to come. You will be under stress due to this.
Follow these guidelines and keep the disposal well maintained:
- Add Bio-degradable Food Items: The first and foremost thing that you must keep in mind when it comes to the garbage disposals is trying not to throw non-biodegradable items in it. There is a list of things that you should avoid putting in the garbage disposal:
- Fibrous materials which include onion skins, celery stalks, and husks.
- Things such as rice and pasta may result in a clogged drain.
- Avoid disposing peels of potato in it.
- Try to Run the Garbage Disposal for a Long Time: One of the biggest mistakes that a person makes while working with garbage disposal is that they turn it off as soon as the grinding noises stop coming from it. This might clear the small particles that are present in it.
- Cut Large Food Items into Smaller Ones: Another way that you can take up to prevent large food items from entering the garbage disposal are by cutting them into small pieces. In case anything enters the garbage disposal, it will be hard for it to process it. Try to cut them into small pieces and throw the waste away.
- Avoid Grease from Entering: Don’t let oil or grease enter in the sink of the garbage disposal. The grease that comes from the garbage disposal will slow down the pipes and will result in a clogged drain. Try to wipe off the grease thoroughly in advance with the help of a paper towel.
Keeping the garbage disposal dirty will only cause you diseases. Try to get the garbage disposal repaired from experts as soon as you experience issues with the garbage disposals. Otherwise, you might end up spending more in the future. These remedies are unaffected and will make your kitchen look spick, and span. No one wants that the kitchen of their houses to look dirty. Get rid of garbage disposal issues and invite guests to dinner at your home. Making every corner of the house clean will make it look new.
Better Service Inc has been offeringElectrical, HVAC and plumbing services for several years. If you are experiencing issues with any if they seek help from professionals and get rid of your concerns in no time.